Upgrade to faster Cpu ?

SB23 20:03 30 May 06

I'm currently running Intel P4, 2.53Ghz, 512mb ram, and the cpu is a socket MPGA 478B.
What, if any, are my chances of being able to upgrade my system, to make it a little more able to deal with games etc. Not just games to be honest, but just in general. I read about what people do, copying this, playing that, and I just wonder about these newer machines, and their AMD processors. Am I really missing out on performance, with my current setup?

Steve

ton 21:45 30 May 06

I don't think you'll see any benefit in a faster CPU.

More ram might help.

?. 21:47 30 May 06

a better graphics card may also help with games.

SB23 21:59 30 May 06

Is it really as easy as that, more ram, and a better graphics card? Why are we, (that's what I've read) being told to go for AMD over Pentium. Or is it preference at the end of the day?
I must be honest, there are times when my pc is really slow, to do anything, that's what got me thinking.

?. 22:12 30 May 06

To get the most future proof computer, AMD is the best option at the moment, but for this you will need to spend money!

Have you defragged you hard drive recently, cleaned out temporary internet files etc etc?

Totally-braindead 23:09 30 May 06

AMD is better than Intel for games, I'm into AMD myself and play games but for me its more about cost, AMD processors are cheaper.

Now having said AMD are better at games I have to also point out that Intels are meant to be better at other things so its swings and roundabouts really. I would be really surprised if you were able to notice any real difference if you compared a same rated Intel chip with an AMD one, perhaps the AMD would be 5 or maybe even 10% better gamewise but in my opinion you would only really notice this with a benchmark program. In actual use I really doubt you would be able to see the difference.

You have a fast processor, perhaps you could upgrade it, it depends on the motherboard and on whether there is a faster processor that will fit. Bearing in mind the extra cost involved I really don't think its worth it, someone else would have to advise on that as I'm not really knowledgeable about Intel processors.
However adding another 512mb of memory would definately give you a cost effective performance increase. Depending on what graphics you have and the slots you have ie AGP or PCI Express then this is also a good way of boosting performance for games.

SB23 10:14 31 May 06

Again, to be honest, you've said what I had already thought, but I was curious about what would be said with regards to the AMD's, and if it was possible to change the processor over. As I suspect it isn't, then it looks like an upgrade to my graphics card, and ram is in order.

Steve

donki 10:24 31 May 06

Wot graphics card do u have Steve? it could b holding ur CPU back. DEFO get urself more RAM!! AMD Dual core is the bussiness if u famcy going that far.

SB23 12:27 31 May 06

It's a Geforce4 MX 440, what would be a good replacement, but not too expensive. As far as I'm aware its the AGP type.

donki 12:30 31 May 06

With AGP ur kinda limited tbh, how much u looking to spend on total upgrade?

donki 12:36 31 May 06

Good GFX card below, it will run all games out at the minute. I have the PCI version and runs FEAR and Oblivion prob the most demanind games out at the minute. Runs them on highest settings.

click here

Could look around for better price. Ebay is gr8 for bargins but u take ur risks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…