Upgrade CPU or Memory ???

russmini 22:04 08 May 05

Ok can only really do one at the moment, especially after buying new monitor, keyboard, mouse, soundcard, graphics card and speakers in the last few weeks, so

Now,

Celeron D320 2.40Ghz

upgrade to

P4 3.06Ghz

Or

256mb

upgrade to 1Ghz

Both basically max upgrades, so what would you do first ?????

Completealias 22:10 08 May 05

I would think you see a better performance increase with the memory upgrade

DieSse 22:25 08 May 05

Can you afford to change the processor and upgrade to 512Mb - this would give you better performance than either just the CPU or just the RAM.

russmini 07:49 09 May 05

Wouldn't bother, if i was to both i would go the hole way, not half with one of them. I'd rather get it all up to its top spec than messing around later adding one more memory upgrade.

I know what your saying though, but it would only be £40 max saving, and whats that nowadays ?

Thanks for suggestions so far.

dan11 08:26 09 May 05

Normally I would say ram every time, but a celeron against a P4 3.06Ghz must be the better option for performance. Even putting 1 gig of ram with the celeron would aid multi tasking but the bottom line is it's a celeron that's doing the work.

From the economic side of things, ram is very cheap. 2 X 512Mb modules can cost as low as £25 a stick click here Ram prices are always volatile, what may be cheap now could be very expensive in a few months time. Also the price of a P4 3.06Ghz could fall quite a lot of the space of a month or two.

If it was me and I wanted performance, I would change the cpu. If it was economics, I would change the ram.

Difficult~~~~)(

russmini 21:22 09 May 05

Memory ?

But, what would your suggestions be on make / value / quality ?

Should i go for Aria, as said above for £25 ea, or opt to get crucial / kingston / other, more like £40 ish ea, would this be a better product, i.e. would it work better, be more stable, less likely to break etc etc ??

dan11 21:49 09 May 05

It depends on what memory speed your motherboard will support. Aria was quoted as how cheap it can be. I personally always use crucial, if you take into account crucial is P+P free. Then there is not a great deal of difference. A 512Mb dimm of pc3200 ( 400Mhz ) would cost you £32.89, so 1 gig would be around the £65 mark. click here

Totally-braindead 22:19 09 May 05

If you're buying memory go to Crucial, I've spent hours trying to work out what was wrong with a PC only to find its the memory.

russmini 19:10 22 May 05

Still in the process of doing this, just not had the time recently, getting married in just over three months, so time and lots of money being spent on that but lovely wife to be still understands my need for technology, just dont seem to have enough money !! oh well !!

Will keep all you helpfull folk informed when i eventually get something

wotbus@ 19:29 22 May 05

Do the memory first, you won't "see" a lot of difference between 2 - 3Ghz but you will between 256 - 1Gb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…