upgrade computer,graphics cards issues (AGP/PSU)

rockali 12:02 11 Jul 07

Hi everyone,

This is my first post - and as you'll see I'm completely new to computing.

Basically I have a Pentium D, 3 GHz, 512 MB RAM and I want to be able to run games like Command and Conquer 3.

However there are some issues:

1) I have an AGP slot (that supports 4x and 8x AGP cards) (and there's also a PCI slot)

2) The power supply is only 200W.

3) The PC is a Shuttle-X PC, so it's all very compact. I thought that this would mean that I wouldn't be able to simply buy a standard replacement 400W PSU.

so, does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Do I simply use an AGP card which only requires 200W (and would this actually cater for standard games)? Do I change the PSU, in which case I have no idea on how to go about doing this given the PC type.

I'm confused and in need of your help!

Thanks in advance

Al.

robbiepaul79 12:11 11 Jul 07

I will have a look around yet i fear this will be a non starter

rockali 12:20 11 Jul 07

Thanks Robbie.

The actual model of the system is the Shuttle SS59GV2. I've found a page on the Shuttle site which lists compatibility related issues.

click here(FS59%20V2.x

but I still have not found out how to upgrade the PSU!

robbiepaul79 12:35 11 Jul 07

I would consider just getting in contact with them ive had a quick look at the site linked and could only see info on a 300W power pack being montioned nothing higher.

I fear these are systems similar to Dell and when you want to upgrade it means a new machine, give them a shout here click here and see what they say

rockali 12:52 11 Jul 07

Thanks Robbie. I've contacted them now, and now waiting to hear. I'll let you know of the outcome. The funny thing is that I only wanted to play Command & Conquer 3 and I was only looking to spend £90! Looks like it will be cheaper just to buy an XBox.

Totally-braindead 17:18 11 Jul 07

I downloaded the demo of C&C 3 and it demands a pretty good card, because of that you will have to upgrade the power supply, and between the power supply (even if you can get a higher rated one that will fit) and the price of the graphics card you will not get both for only £90.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…