Upgrade advice, Win7: 32bit or 64bit? Home or Pro?

HMG1K 13:29 22 Nov 09

I'm ready to upgrade my HP Workstation (xw6000) to Windows 7 - first I wanted to get your advice on which version to buy Home or Professional, and 32bit or 64bit.

Firstly, my processors (x2 3.06GHz Intel Xeons) are x86. Microsoft says they should be x64 to be able to take / run Windows 7 64-bit. So I guess I can't go 64-bit. I've 4GB or RAM fitted at the moment and being 32bit Windows XP is only showing my system as having 3.20GB.

Lastly, Home or Professional? I'd plump for Professtional as it says it has an XP compatabilty mode. Is this the case or is Home ok? I can't see vast differences apart from this between Home and Pro. And BitLocker and the various languages on Pro to Ultimate don't affect me.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Fingees 15:01 22 Nov 09

Just as a point, I bought windows home upgrade from Tescos, and it had 32 bit & 64 bit disks.

there is a great difference in price between home £69 and Pro £130+

HMG1K 15:06 22 Nov 09

Yep, it seems when you buy which ever version (Home, Pro, Ultimate) you get both 32bit and 64bit variants. However when I got the upgrade disc from Sony to go from Vista Home to Windows 7 Home (free upgrade, pay the £20 P&P & handling!) it comes only with 32bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now