Upgrade advice required

Ranger 21:51 01 Feb 04

Current system Windows 98 SE, Intel pentium 111 Processor, High peerformance 100 MHz M/Board, 128MB Fast SDRAM 100mhZ,70gb hard drive. I want to upgrade to a BETTER + FASTER system. I can obtain software free but can anyone advise on the hardware / price I should pay for upgrade and what is the best soft ware to use

smegs 22:38 01 Feb 04

What do U want to use the PC for??

Rtus 22:46 01 Feb 04

Be ready to get Xp as most boards are Designed with Xp as the O/S. W98se can be used (depending on CPU speed limits)but can take a little understanding to get it to behave correctly.As smegs says though look to what youd want to use it for as the best guide.

goonerbill 23:41 01 Feb 04

as the others have said, what do you plan on using the pc for.

also as your pc is quite old, is it worth upgrading, why not buy a new base unit or just get a new pc.

there are some good deals on the new athlon 64, which will future proof you for atleast 9/12 months.

Ranger 09:20 02 Feb 04

I recently installed a second, bigger hard drive and a DVD R. The existing processor is too slow to back up some of my DVD's taking in some cases up to 3 hours. As you say the system is slow. My daughter is usng it for univesity stuff and she says its a cart horse compared to the equipment on campus. I have a nephew who can do all the hardware for me if I can get an idea of price etc.

byfordr 09:25 02 Feb 04

Agree with goonerbill it may be cheaper either to completly start again, and build a new pc. You should be able to salvage some bits ie hard drive, dvd copier, possible the monitor if its any good. Failing that try a new pc. A company like Dell do a new pc with 15 tft for as little as £600 - £700. Again you should be able to save some of the bits like the hard drive and dvd copier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…