Upgrade advice please

Kypros 16:34 21 Oct 04

I would like to upgrade an old 233Mhz system which has Windows 98 to a faster system such as Athlon XP 2000+ so that it will be able to manage todays normal office applications and graphics, and use programs like AOL9 without getting overloaded and overworked.
I know I need a Socket A Motherboard, and I realise I need memory to match, plus a case to match. What I am not sure of is this:

What is the diff between a £70 mobo and one costing £25 if they are both Socket A and both DDR400? I would be ok about getting a graphics card like a GeForceMMX440 but would it fit the motherboard?
And what advice would you give assuming that my top budget is £200 max for the cpu, mobo, case, memory and graphics? I already have a friend to do the installation.

stylehurst 16:53 21 Oct 04

Have a look at the Novatech site, they do motherboard bundles to fit in existing cases, also bundles which include a case (Barebones systems).
Motherboard bundles start from about £100.
Barebone systems from about £130.

Kypros 18:02 21 Oct 04

I did that and thanks, I am well impressed.
However I was a bit put off by a user review on the XP2700 model which said that the fan was very noisy. The PC will be in a small flat with an elderly lady so I would be happy if that comment was not always the case. Do you know if it is noisy? Another reviewer said the XP3000 was "whisper quiet". So we have ambiguity.
If this barebones system is reasonably quiet and it has no obvious snags it is exactly what we're after. Have you got one, and if so do you think it's noisy?

961 19:28 21 Oct 04

At a top budget of £200 I think you are struggling

233 to 2700 is ott especially regarding power supply etc

If your monitor and printer etc is ok suggest Novatech or Dell for the computer box complete but I have to say I'm not into barebones

If you want to build it yourself then suggest something like AMD based system at around 2400 socket A with mobo from Gigabyte or similar

This is inexpensive but will work fine

stylehurst 13:59 22 Oct 04

Can't comment on the noise levels of these particular machines, as mine are a bit older than these quoted.
However I have dealt with Novatech for over 10 years and always found them very helpful if you have a query or complaint. Suggest you give them a call regarding the noise levels.

stylehurst 14:01 22 Oct 04

Can't comment on the noise levels of these particular machines, as mine are a bit older than these quoted.
However I have dealt with Novatech for over 10 years and always found them very helpful if you have a query or complaint. Suggest you give them a call regarding the noise levels.
My machines are a 1.2 Athlon & a 2.8 Intel, both Novatech machines. Both are pretty quiet; the 2.8 especially so, you have to be withing about 3 feet to even hear the fan. If you have some help why not consider damping the sound

Kypros 19:10 22 Oct 04

Thanks for your helpful comments. I think that you are right, I will order the Athlon XP 2700+ system with the 256MB DDR400 PC3200 RAM on the K7V400MG-F mobo with Integrated VIA high-performance graphics (AGPx8), 5.1 sound and all in a case tested and turned out for £158.51 inc vat which will leave me enough change to get her a Novatech GeForce FX5200 128MB 8XAGP Graphics Card with TV Out (£37.60 inc vat) if she wants it.
If the fan is noisy, we can either replace it or ask Novatech to fix it. Anyway, I suppose the whole ambiguity thing is due to subjectivity and so I'll have to risk it. Personally, if your comments about Novatech are good and the system is fine then it has to be one helluva bargain and an ideal solution for us having just bought both monitor and printer and other peripherals.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…