Upgrade advice please

Busy 12:36 22 Apr 04

What is the percieved wisdom on a major upgrade,ie new mobo,cpu and graphics card-is it ok just to do it then attach hard drive as was,or will this create problems and would a fresh install be needed?For the record have an AMD2400,Gforce 4600 and asus a7v333,will go out to AMD64,Ati 9800pro and MSI KT8 neo..thanks

Totally-braindead 12:45 22 Apr 04

I don't understand why you want to upgrade the lot, a new graphics card perhaps or more memory but to upgrade when you already have a good computer is to me a waste of money. That aside you probably could just plug in the old hard drive but I wouldn't recommend it, as you say it can cause problems. Far better to back up all your files to CD and then format and do a clean install, it will cause fewer problems and enable you to get rid of all those bits and pieces that end up being left behind on your hard drive as well as avoiding any conflicts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…