upgrade Acer Aspire 2001WLCi laptop

Jos77 09:33 26 Sep 09

Dear helproom,

I'm looking to upgrade my laptop (for general use, no gaming etc.). So far I have found out through click here that I can upgrade my memory from 512MB to 2GB . Next is the hard drive but here I find it difficult to establish which are compatible and the best choice. Below is a summary of my system:

Laptop: Acer Aspire 2001WLCi
Mainboard: Compal CL50
Hard drive: FUJITSU MHV2040AT (40G)
Chipset: Intel i855PM
Processor: Intel Pentium M @ 1400 MHz
Physical Memory: 512 MB (2 x 256 DDR-SDRAM )

Any advice on how I can find out what hard drive I should buy would be greatly appreciated!

With regards
Jos

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:29 26 Sep 09

Any advice on how I can find out what hard drive I should buy would be greatly appreciated!

Its a standard IDE hard drive what size do you want to fit?

click here

You will need to clone the whole drive to the larger newer one before swapping over.

Jos77 14:39 26 Sep 09

Thanks. I'd be happy with 60 or 80G, but most important for me is the increased performance. So how do I find the fastest compatible drive, and do you think it will make a big difference for my laptop?
I've read about the cloning and think I'll be fine with HDCLONE.

Cheers
Jos

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:59 26 Sep 09

A bigger laptop will give more space for files and allow more room for virtual memory (which you won't need if increasing to 2Gb, the increase in spin speed from 4500 to 7200 won't really be noticeable.

Put in the biggest you can afford a small increase in price means a big increase in Gb, you will be surprised how fast they fill up :0)

Jos77 22:20 26 Sep 09

OK, thanks fruit bat, I think I'll be okay from here :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…