Upgrade 98SE to ME.

tolls-pete 17:02 25 Oct 04

The install got so far and then said something like "your current system has Microsoft DLC which is incompatible with ME. If you want ME you'll have to uninstall DLC"

Can anybody help me on this please??

ventanas 17:09 25 Oct 04

Is the computer on a network? DLC is a rarely used method of communicating with network printers. click here for info.

ventanas 17:11 25 Oct 04

Also should have added, its very old.

Mozarella 22:11 25 Oct 04

Tolls-Pete, from my experience Win Me isn`t as good as Win 98SE. It seems to conflict with too many other things. I`ve spoken at work and everyone there has`nt got a good word to say about ME. Good Luck

gold 47 23:08 25 Oct 04

One word DON'T your not missing anything W98 is stil better by far.

gold 47 23:09 25 Oct 04

Sorry for spelling error.

tolls-pete 09:24 26 Oct 04

Thanks for your replies. The computer is not on a network, hence my surprise at this message. Wanted to upgrade to try to eliminate another problem - I can make a connection to the internet but no information is getting through. I mean the connection icon is there in the bottom right hand corner and it reports information is being sent and received but nothing happens in IE, Outlook etc. IE works OK on a local file. windows\files is OK. Ran Spybot and AVG, changed name of folder in IE where provider info is stored, changed modem, lead etc. No joy. Suspect windows is broken.

tolls-pete 17:35 27 Oct 04

There had been a spyware infection which had corrupted the winock entries in the registry. Now fixed, so I'll take your advice and not upgrade. In the process, I think the DLC protocol was also deleted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…