UPGRADE 98 to XP...scared !

Baslla321 11:19 18 Oct 03

I am preparing to upgrade W98 (Pen11 350 MMX.) I have copied Microsoft info but still in doubt.
1) If half-way thru I am told that the BIOS needs upgrading, then I am lost. 2)Does XP overwrite Win 98? 3)If half way thru I get stuck, can I abort and will Win 98 still be available?
I have American megatrends 15/07/95 Amibios 1997 0821981100 Pen. 11 : motherhead type R1.3: HDD 6.33GB; RAM256 (58% utilized).
Any hints will be appreciated.

VoG II 11:23 18 Oct 03

The first thing to do is ensure that your hardware and software are compatible click here

SheffieldSpy 11:40 18 Oct 03

You will probably loose your windows 98 installation if you install Windows XP under the same drive partition. However Windows XP should upgrade Windows 98 if you select the right options, thereby giving you the option in "Add/Remove software" to uninstall Windows XP. If you encounter problems in the installation, I cannot be certain that you will have either Windows98 or XP.

Baslla321 11:51 18 Oct 03

Cannot use Upgrade Advisor as I have dial-up. Also my 98 Version is not U.S.
but I do qualify for XP upgrade. I bought XP Pro.
Thanks.

spuds 11:51 18 Oct 03

I have recently installed Windows XP Pro,and found that it brought a number of problems. Some of my previously working CD-roms and hardware, were no longer compatible with XP.So be a little cautious of this possible problem.I still have access to WME via a slave H/D.

Baslla321 11:57 18 Oct 03

I will do that. Thanks I am considering getting a professional IT guy to do this, but their charge is sky high !!

bremner 12:03 18 Oct 03

With your set up you are very much on the edge of the system requirement. I think you may find the system pretty slow when you upgrade.

rioboy 12:10 18 Oct 03

I agree with bremner. With a Pentium 2 350 processor, XP operating system will slow to a crawl. Keep 98 and go to XP when you decide to upgrade your PC.

Baslla321 13:14 18 Oct 03

Thanks. I will do that. My processor definitely needs upgrading. Rgds.

Legolas 14:00 18 Oct 03

As rioboy and bremner have already said I would upgrade my processor before installing XP I was running XP with PIII 450 and it was a bit slow. These are the mimimum requirements for XP according to the Microsoft site so you are cutting it a bit fine.

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Andsome 14:03 18 Oct 03

From observation, it appears to me that the vast majority of problems with XP occur from updated 98 installations. I don't know anyone personally who has had a severe problem with a brand new computer with XP installed from scratch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…