Upgrade.

overhead_drums 09:49 30 Jul 14

Hey all, My specs are as follows:

Phenom X6 1100t @ 3.8Ghz, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670, 8GB G-Skills Ripjaws, ASUS M4N98TD EVO MOBO, OCZ 750watt PSU

I use my pc for gaming mostly but think I'm due an upgrade, mainly of my CPU.

I've been asking around forums whether I should upgrade to an fx-9590. General replays have been no it wouldn't be much of an upgrade and it would be more of an upgrade going for an intel i5.

I don't know whether replys are just from people that prefer intel to AMD so I'm looking for honest answers. Obviously a intel upgrade would require me to buy a whole new MOBO and be more expensive.

I do have a budget around £350-£400 at a push.

Any advice, or recommendations of products would be amazing!

Cheers guys!

Ian in Northampton 10:00 30 Jul 14

I think you'll find that many of the contributors to this forum tend to favour the i5 as a gaming CPU. Generally, the reason for going AMD rather than Intel is based on budget - and, as you say, in your case it will be even more expensive as you will need to upgrade your mobo too.The question is whether you want to spend a fair bit of money for what may only be a relatively marginal performance increase (depending on the application) compared with spending less money on an AMD CPU upgrade.

overhead_drums 10:07 30 Jul 14

I would rather go for the AMD CPU but a lot of people seem to have a poor opinion of it. But if its a nice upgrade from my x6 then I would like to go for it. I always assumed it would be a really good upgrade but some people have said its a side upgrade seeing as my x6 is overclocked to 3.8.

I've always loved my current processor. This is the new one I'm looking at:

click here it really such a poor upgrade??

Cheers for the reply!

Is

BRYNIT 10:33 30 Jul 14

Its difficult to say as you don't mention which i5 CPU, you can compare some CPU's from click here

overhead_drums 18:02 30 Jul 14

It would be the i5 4690k. Looks like a nice CPU though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac