Upgrade

shazadkashmir 17:22 05 Jan 09

If I wanted to upgrade myy pc but didnt want to change my hard drive is it possible? E.G Ill get a new motherboard and processor, Memory, etc however if I install my old hard drive into a new shell will it still work??

howard64 17:32 05 Jan 09

unless the mobo was identical to the original windows will be messed up as the registry contains the details for working with the mobo. Your best bet is to install the old hard drive as a slave in the new pc. This will allow access to your files but the new hard drive with windows installed on it will run the pc.

ambra4 17:33 05 Jan 09
  shazadkashmir 17:41 05 Jan 09

thanks, so the best thing would be to run it as a slave drive? Would I need to reinstall OS on the NEW hard drive?

ambra4 17:54 05 Jan 09

Yes

canarieslover 19:11 05 Jan 09

Be prepared to reinstall if it fails but it is sometimes possible to carry over a hard drive from one system to another. Start up in Safe Mode and uninstall graphics and soundcard drivers and any motherboard drivers that you can while drive is still in the old machine. When you transfer drive to new machine have the driver CD for the new motherboard ready and install new drivers when system requires them. With just a little bit of luck everything will install OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…