Upgrade

tilnyjon 18:44 13 Nov 08

Hi, I want to upgrade Visa basic to the premium version on my laptop, but my hard drive does not have enough space for this, is it possible to install the upgrade on my external usb drive.
Thanks, Jon

chub_tor 18:55 13 Nov 08

I don't think that you can install Vista on an external drive. But what you can do is to move your Documents file that contains all of your music and pictures to the external drive and free up some space that way. You could also uninstall some of your other software and reinstall on your external drive. Of course you will need to have your external drive pretty much permanently connected to make this work.

Have you considered putting in a bigger hard drive into your laptop instead?

Forum Editor 18:56 13 Nov 08

provided your laptop's motherboard supports booting from USB drives.

tilnyjon 19:53 13 Nov 08

Thanks Forum Editor, I have checked and my system will boot from USB, i suppose my other option is to install a larger hard drive, but can i install an upgrade straight onto this, i do heve the recovery disk i made when i first purchased the laptop, does this install the necessary files needed.

chub_tor 09:56 14 Nov 08

If you use a programme such as Acronis True Image you can clone your existing drive onto the new bigger hard drive by using an external 2.5 inch USB caddy. Then take out the old drive, put the new bigger one into the laptop and then you will have space to do the upgrade to Vista Premium. You will also automatically have a full back up on the drive you have taken out if all goes wrong.

tilnyjon 11:53 14 Nov 08

Thanks a lot, now that realy makes sense, and as you say i shall have a back up as well, thanks for your help, regards, Jon

chub_tor 12:54 14 Nov 08

Well that's pretty much what I did when I put a bigger hard drive in my Toshiba laptop. Of course I didn't have to do the Vista upgrade, but I have kept the old drive as a complete system back up as well as making regular data backups on it "just in case". It sounds as if you may already have an external USB drive, if it is the 2.5" caddy type that doesn't external power then you are already quids in.

I bought this caddy click here for a SATA drive - you will need to find out whether your laptop drive is SATA or IDE - and I got this SATA drive click here which was the biggest one that I could afford at the time and Toshiba confirmed that it would be OK in my PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…