Upgrade to 2k or XP pro ?

Stadds 14:41 06 Oct 03

I run Me and have the chance to upgrade to either 2k or Xp pro. Should I upgrade (I have no real problems at the moment). Anyone out there have any resons for going for one and not the other?? I want to eventually set up a wireless connection to broadband so will need good networking capabilities, other than this it's the usual games, photos and homework!!

Terrahawk 15:35 06 Oct 03

both 2k and xp pro have good networking capabilities the fact you mention games though would push me towards xp pro as it has a compatibility mode allowing you to run older games and software.One issue you may find with both is drivers for older hardware but this can usually be resolved with a quick visit to the hardware manufacturers website.On the whole though if ME is working ok for you providing your system specs are up to it you should be ok with broadband

Stadds 15:41 06 Oct 03

Thanks Terrahawk. Gives me a bit more to think about! Although Me is working ok, I am not sure if it has any good for networking???

goonerbill 15:54 06 Oct 03

out of the two XPpro but watch out for older software in compatability mode on XP, as i have got less than half of the software/games to run in compatability mode.

ME is ok when networking pc's but not sure about wireless though.

why not install XP on second hard drive and have it and ME on ya system, works ok as XP does all the work for you when installing.

raytoo 16:03 06 Oct 03

Had both and found that XP kept crashing on my Advent (PC World) machine. Professional advised changing to 2000 pro and have had no crashes at all.

Stadds 16:03 06 Oct 03

goonerbill. Possibility I suppose. I had'nt thought of that. I would'nt say I was a novice but this is the first time I've contemplated anyhthing raelly technical. Would I need a seperate hard drive or could I compartment my existing one?

Stadds 16:05 06 Oct 03

raytoo. Thanks. Interesting.

seancblack 16:09 06 Oct 03

You could create a DUAL BOOT scenario which would enable you to choose which OS to open (one hard drive) however in my past experiences this is really not worth the hassle, and I stuck with XP pro, okay I had to write off some older software, but at least I know there is better compatabillity with newer software.

bremner 16:11 06 Oct 03

If your only networking is to share broadband and files bewteen a couple of machines then XP Home Edition is more than capable of doing that.

Stadds 17:04 06 Oct 03

Thanks people. Off to mess with my pc now!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…