Updating Windows Updates Website

Bapou 15:13 08 Jul 05

Windows Updates website has been updated, to access in full software must be downloaded and installed.

I choose Install, Windows tells me "Now Downloading and Installing Software". Except, it does not seem to do so, after 90 minutes without any apparent progress I gave up. With a broadband connection I hasten to add.

Folllowing advice from elsewhere have tried three possible remedies. 1. Renaming System 32 file Catroot2 to Catroot2old - 2. Downloading- installing uctl.cab file from MS Knowledge base. 3. Turning off Zone Alarm. Nothing helped.

System is XP Home, can anyone offer any further possible remedy please?

For what it's worth, Critical updates are still automatically downloaded without problem, just not able to fully access the website for other updates available or check installation history.

Bapou 00:21 09 Jul 05

Problem solved, somehow the registry had been screwed up as another problem cropped up after using Crap Cleaner.

A system restore cured this and just out of curiosity decided to try the Windows Update website again. New software required was immediately downloaded and installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos