Updating Website in Real Time

Eimy 01:43 23 Nov 06

Hi Everyone

I'm just wondering can we update our website in real time mode? What I meant is this.

We have an IT website in our organization. And to make the website valuable, we intend to include the system status / availability of the day. For example .. the network is 100% up, the ATM machine is 80% up, ATM at xx is down ... something like that.

So, when user go to our website, they will see all the status AND hopefully will not wondering around what is happening.

I guess there are some 'status' which can be updated manually such as the mail server is down until further notice. BUT there are areas that need to be updated in real time. For example the network and system availability.

So..the question .. is there any method / mechanism to counter the above..or perhaps none. Help me up, kay!

Forum Editor 23:16 23 Nov 06

can you clear something up please?

You say "We have an IT website in our organization". Do you mean an intranet - a site that can only be seen by your company network users?

Or do you mean a public-facing website - one which is on the internet for all to see?

Eimy 04:00 30 Nov 06

Yup. An Intranet ...

matto 17:11 30 Nov 06

Kay -

Reading the above it sounds like you are a user trying to determine if your IT guys can do something you want to see done. Is that correct?

If so, the simple answer is yes - it can be done by a web application pulling the data from one system or (and more likely) the system in question will feed or report status to the web app.

A lot depends on the main platform for you intranet and other it systems. A Lotus environment would offer plenty of ways to share real-time status for a variety of users.

If you don't have IT support and have inherited an intranet, you'll need to get answers about the various systems and ensure they are able to talk to each other.

I like that you mention ATM. I wonder if you work for my bank...

Matto (click here)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…