Updating to USB 2

SHUNNA 15:14 01 Feb 05

I`ve ordered a USB 2 PCI card to update my self build pc so that I can get best speed from my new Liteon external USB2 DVD writer.
Will I have to disable my present USB 1 setup or will they happily co-exist?
OS is WinXp with AMD 1.8Gig processor.

TomJerry 15:16 01 Feb 05

just plug pci card in and install software and enjoy it

flecc 15:28 01 Feb 05

If the card you have ordered is a Belkin, many of their versions need you to install the software from the CD BEFORE installing the card. Doing it the other way round can lead to a difficult to undo situation. Reading the instructions before acting is best, as ever!

SHUNNA 15:33 01 Feb 05

Thanks both, it`s not a Belkin, but a cheepo Ebuyer model, because I liked the fact that it had front panel sockets as well as rear.

Diemmess 15:41 01 Feb 05

N.B. flecc's advice is good (as ever).

I caused a near terminal crash on a family system by not installing the software BEFORE plugging the card in.

Djohn 15:44 01 Feb 05

As Diemmess says, good advice from flecc. Nice to see you posting again flecc, not seen you for a while. :o)

wallbash 16:11 01 Feb 05

SHUNNA

Good advice from fleec ( must remember to read the manual .... I wish I always did)

But I also bought a cheap usb 2.0 card with 3 ports on a front panel and two at the rear from e-bay. ( may be same) Could not believe how simply it was to install and truly delighted with it .I did not disable anything.Inserted card and re-booted. My pen drive is so much easier to insert. My only little niggle was that it needed an adapter panel to fit the front panel.

SHUNNA 17:31 01 Feb 05

Thanks everyone, sorry for the slight delay in replying, but work intervened.
Wallbush, sounds like the same item, seemed to have good reviews, and you`re obviously pleased.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…