Updating RAM

stoner 18:06 13 Aug 04

Hey Guys,

Hope ur all well ........

I have increased my SDRAM (PC100 144Pin) from 128MB to 512MB but my computer will only recognise 256MB. My motherboard (FIC FR33) and chipset (VIA VT8601A APOLLO PLE133) are designed to handle much more RAM than this so I am confused as to why my extra RAM isn’t recognised.

Any ideas out there?

Stoner

cga 18:27 13 Aug 04

Jumper settings? BIOS Settings if it is a jumperless mobo?

stoner 18:37 13 Aug 04

Jumper settings?

I have a laptop and don't anticipate being able to physically alter any jumper settings.

Do you think this really might make a difference?

I might be tempted to take the case apart if this would work - I am always up for an adventure!!

cga 18:52 13 Aug 04

OK - so its a laptop. Not my speciality. If there are no visible jumpers when you insert the memory then I guess it is jumper free.

What about bios settings?

stoner 19:27 13 Aug 04

No BIOS settings that I can alter but am looking into a BIOS update which might do it.

But where would these jumpers be?

The memory slots in my laptop were VERY tight and didn't leave room for any thing else, I imagine the jumpers were elsewhere on the mb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…