Updating RAM

stoner 19:11 26 Jul 04

I want to upgrade the RAM on my Tiny MediaBook Power Laptop (XP Pro) but am unsure how much RAM it will take. (144Pin PC100 SDRAM)

It currently has 128MB, and after quite a bit of research on the net I suspect (but don't know) that my laptop motherboard (I think it is an MSI 6368 or similar) will take either PC100 or PC133 upto 1GB.

Ideally, I would like to install 512MB of RAM, but is this being too ambitious and do you think I will gain anything by converting from PC100 to PC133?

Yours as ever,

Living dangerously,

Stoner

TomJerry 19:24 26 Jul 04

Laptop is not the same as desktop. Info for laptop is hard to find in internet because most laptop components are specially designed.

Manual should have this information. Otherwise, it is really bad service.

The last measure, you can open it up and see how much already there and figure out.

stoner 22:05 26 Jul 04

What manual?

goonerbill © ® 22:11 26 Jul 04

go to the link and download EVEREST Home edition (formally known as aida32) it will tell you what type of ram and make of motherboard and anything else you wish to know about your laptop.

click here

should make it a bit easier to find out what can or can't be added in the way of memory.

TomJerry 22:19 26 Jul 04

any respectful PC maker will supply a manual with the machine even not printed version. Sometime, they provide with pdf version on CD.

harps1h 22:55 26 Jul 04

go to crucial and use their configurator to see what ram is available for it.

they garauntee compatibility

stoner 16:41 27 Jul 04

thanx goonerbill, will give this a try and get back to you,

accord 16:50 27 Jul 04

underneath the laptop is a cover which when opened will show you the RAM. I think most laptops have 2 slots (both my Sony and IBM have had) I suspect you have one spare slot, but would suggest running aida32 anyway to determine what type you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…