Updating Program Versions ?

Tinkey Winkey 20:55 11 Apr 04

The authors of programs don't always say whether you should uninstall a previous version of their program before installing their latest one.

Yesterday I installed Msn Messenger 6.1 whilst version 6.0 was still on my system ,and version 6.0 seems to have been assimilated.(resistance is futile ).
MSN Mess' 6.1 has replaced the Start>Programs Menu and all my contacts and settings have been kept. No problem.

Is there a general rule or best practice which says uninstall the old before installing the new, or doesn't it matter ?

Note:I'm about to replace Spywareblaster with a newer version as recommended through the update.

VoG II 20:57 11 Apr 04

I don't know of any firm rule. Spywareblaster will install OK without having to remove the previous version.

Tinkey Winkey 11:13 12 Apr 04

VoG - Spyewareblaster 3.1 installed alongside version 2.6.0.
Uninstalled the old one afterwards.

Can anyone else give any best practice advise re: upgrading older progs ?

sattman 20:32 12 Apr 04

Usually the programme will advise if earlier versions have to be removed before ugrade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…