updating my web site problems

JOHN 22:53 25 May 03

When I tried to update my website using Microsoft outlook as usual, it wouldn't do it. I also tried using ws-ftp which said it had done it but hadn't and cute ftp, which wouldn't do it. I finally got help from my internet supplier helpline which enabled me to upload using Windows explorer. Anyone got any ideas what's going on? I also can't download updates for my anti-virus program. It gets to 99% and then throws up an "unspecified error" message.

User-312386 23:02 25 May 03

hi there

question 1: what O/S are you running?

question 2: who is your isp?

question 3: what software are you using to make your site(dont you mean front page) ?

JOHN 20:26 26 May 03

sorry - got mixed up. I'm using xp pro, my isp is claranet and I use front page

User-312386 00:55 27 May 03

no problem there mate

ok are you using the ftp protocol in Front Page?

JOHN 22:20 27 May 03

yes.

Forum Editor 23:23 27 May 03

which version of FrontPage you're using, but do this:

1. Open your site in FrontPage, live on the server. That is to say, don't open the local copy on your hard drive but the version that's on the web server. You can do this by going to File/open site. Type the full address of your site (including the http:// ) in the 'site name' box and click on 'open'. Make sure you're online before you start. You'll be prompted for your server login.

2. Enter your login and your site will/should open in FrontPage.

3. Now make an alteration to one page and click on 'Save'. Watch the small monitor icons in the bottom right of your screen - you should see activity as FP saves the changes back to the server.

4. Your remote (server) and local (hard drive) copies of the site will now be out of sync, and you'll need to update the local copy by going to File/publish site, and then navigating to the location on your drive where the site is archived.

This method of working on the live version of a site is not normally to be recommended - if your machine locks up, or restarts during a save there's the danger that your site may not be properly updated. For this reason it's normally better to work on your local copy and save changes back to that before updating the server version using the File/publish site method.

Give it a try, and let us know what happens.

JOHN 19:51 28 May 03

No go I'm afraid. When I try to open the web folder, I get the following - "The folder isn't accessible. The folder may be located in an unavailable location, protected by a password or the filename contains a / or \" The filename doesn't contain a / or \ so it can't be that.

Forum Editor 22:58 28 May 03

to offer more help if I could take a look at your site in FP. To do that I'll need to login to the server.

If you are happy for me to do that please use the 'contact moderator' button in the yellow bar at the bottom of the thread. Let me have a note of your server login and password and I'll take a look (you can always maintain security by changing the password afterwards).

User-312386 20:58 29 May 03

ftp: // ftp . pwp . claranet . co . uk /

without the spaces

then a box should appear, asking for your user name and password

some ftp's (like Blueyonder) give you direct access some don't

User-312386 21:03 29 May 03

presented with this click here ? if you are then you will need to either contact your isp, to see what transfer protocol you have to use or you are not logging in correctly

Taran 21:50 29 May 03

FTP using a third party program can reset the web folder permissions and disallow FrontPage to upload/update properly.

This can be easily rectified by asking your ISP to reset the web folder, but unless you are getting an error message about FrontPage server extensions either not detected or not installed we can rule this out as a possible cause.

As a rule of thumb, you should either use FrontPage or FTP but not mix the two, but there are exceptions to this generalisation.

This may seem obvious, but have you tried completely emptying your internet browser cache ?

Deleting everything through Internet Explorer sometimes doesn't work for various reasons. If you don't know how to completely clean your cache post again and one of us will walk you through it.

I suspect you may have an issue along these lines, since you also have antivirus download difficulties which could be attributed to temporary files held in your browser cache.

Just a thought.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…