Updating my computer - problem

rabbitrabbit 14:51 15 Sep 07

Recently tried updating my computer. All went well until I switched it on. Almost everything worked fine, I can hear the computer starting up as usual, but on my monitor was the message "no signal".

I tried to start up by taking out some part, leaving just the basics - graphics card, RAM, etc. But to no avail.

So I decided to see if I could locate the problem. some findings :-

Operating system XP

AMD X2 4200 AM2, Heatsink and Fan, 2048MB DDR2 667 RAM, Asus AM2 Motherboard.
This was supplied by Novatech as a bundle. I've taken out the memory, tried them separately, and tried them together. Either both are broken (unlikely), or perhaps neither are compatible (but they should be, as Novatech fitted them). Memory make is "Buffalo Select" if that helps.
Motherboard LED comes on when starting up. Fan works fine.

Hiper 580 Watt, ATX v2.2.
This works perfectly. Tried it in another machine. No problems.

Novatech GeForce 7600GS 256MB
Brand new. This is perhaps the problem, I have no way of checking it really. Though the fan on the underside works fine when switched on.

Monitor is brand new, works fine on other computers.

All relevant hard drives and disk drives are connected and powered, the connectors are fitted to the motherboard 24-pin and 4-pin.

Is it likely to be the graphics card that is causing the "no signal" on the monitor? How can I check this without buying another graphics card?

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Totally-braindead 15:04 15 Sep 07

Do you get beeps pressuming the internal speaker is connected, that should tell you what isn't working.
click here

It is possible it is the graphics card, I have had one that was dead on arrival. The only problem is theres so many different things that could be wrong and without being able to swap over different parts the beep codes are what you are stuck with.

I would suspect either its the power supply or the graphics card. I don't suppose it has onboard graphics does it, if so you could try that?

I presume also that you have connected any extra power connections both to the motherboard and also to the graphics card?

rabbitrabbit 15:07 15 Sep 07

Power supply is fine.
Motherboard has all its relevant bits connected.
No extra connection on the graphics card itself.
Internal speaker was connected correctly, but there were no beeps as i recall.

Totally-braindead 20:07 15 Sep 07

Just a suggestion but graphics cards can be a nightmare to fit. They can look 100% fitted but not be, especially in a new board. My suggestion would be remove the PCIE graphics card and refit it and do this perhaps 3 or 4 times making sure its shoved firmly in the slot.

Novatech check their bundles before sending them out so its unlikely anything could have happened to that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced