Updating Modem Driver?

Mad Boy 17:38 10 May 03

I keep getting disconected of AOL 7.0, so ill have to hurry up & type this post :)

Amyway when aol logs me off it says something about run Auto Detect Modem & select from the list to choose a better modem or something, any windows says i have the best driver updated for this device (I just recently formatted my pc)

Anyway aol says search for a better device driver file, so is it possible for me to download a better driver that might make my internet connection a bit more stable?

Im using windows 98 SE
my modem is a:

V90 Conexant 56K Fax Speakerphone Modem (internal i think)

Thanks

Mad Boy 17:43 10 May 03

OH, did i say that my connection is tempremental?

Sometimes im lucky to be online for more than 4 minutes, other times i have been online for longer than 700 minutes. its weird

Mad Boy 17:44 10 May 03

OH, did i say that my connection is tempremental?

Sometimes im lucky to be online for more than 4 minutes, other times i have been online for longer than 700 minutes. its weird

keith-236785 18:06 11 May 03

Try uninstalling your modem ( add remove programs)from control panel

then right click on my computer, properties
then device manager(i think its called that im now on xp so this is from memory)
click on modems
then click your modem
then choose remove from the buttons below

this will efectively remove your modem
shut down and restart windows, your modem should be found (new hardware), when it gets to the point of installing the driver choose "install from other locations" (or whatever it says) not automatically install best driver. then find your latest driver and install that one.

one question.... was your connection ok before you got the last driver, if so the driver may be corrupt
if none of this works the modem may be faulty
as they are so cheap now i would buy another
PC World now have a component center modems there are about £10 although there are cheaper ones available but beware POSTAL charges

good luck

woodchip 18:15 11 May 03

click here some init strings you can try in modem extra settings if you know which one

woodchip 18:16 11 May 03

You can have a look hear see if there is anything that will help click here

Mad Boy 22:53 11 May 03

as far as i know im using the same modem driver as before (i recently formatted)

Ill look at them links however thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…