Updating java

hiwatt 13:36 07 Dec 07

Hi folks,I'm tring to update java on my computer.I currently have version 1.4.2_05 and 5.0 update 6.When I try to uninstall the first one it's saying "the feature you're tring to use is on a cd-ROM disk that is not availiable,insert the java disc to continue".I don't have any disc though.Will it be ok to install the most recent version of java over the top of the?This will mean there will be 3 versions of java on the computer.Could this cause problems?Thanks.

birdface 13:55 07 Dec 07

Latest up-date is Version 6 update 3.I would delete all others.And download latest version.

birdface 14:04 07 Dec 07

Try one of the removal tools.click here=

hiwatt 15:26 07 Dec 07

I ran the removal tool and I got a warning saying that if I remove it I will need to have a copy of the operating system to reinstall it and that microsoft don't have to supply it,or something to that effect.Is this one of those"if it aint broke don't fix it" situations?My computers working fine I just thought that I would be better off with the latest versions.Thanks.

mfletch 16:08 07 Dec 07

Hi you can download the latest java and have all three installed BUT old versions are a security risk so should be removed,

Try removing them in safe mode, or

Right click on My Computer and click on explore then right click on C drive and explore,

Click on program files

Find old java and delete

mfletch

Stuartli 16:21 07 Dec 07

Sun's advice is to retain earlier versions of Java.

hiwatt 16:31 07 Dec 07

Are you saying I should install the new version but also keep the other 2 versions installed?I'm having a bit of trouble uninstalling them anyway.Version 1.4.2_05 deleted ok manually from program files but version 5 wont..Should I restore it then?Thanks.

mfletch 16:40 07 Dec 07

click here

mfletch

Stuartli 16:46 07 Dec 07

That's the advice from Sun on the Java website.

mfletch 16:46 07 Dec 07

Just to add,

click here

Each version is separate and independent, and can be deleted.

The safest way to remove the old versions is to remove all versions in the reverse order of their install, then install the wanted version. The 1.3 versions sometimes have shown undesired interactions with later versions.

hiwatt 16:58 07 Dec 07

I'm having problems uninstalling them(add/remove programs).When I try to uninstall one version it says you already have this version installed and the other one asks me to insert a java disc which I dont have,it came installed on my computer.Any ideas how to go about getting rid of them.Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…