Updating files to a second internal hard drive

TOPCAT® 18:47 06 Jan 05

This pussycat needs your help please! :o)

I'm using WindowsMe OS and I've just added a spare second internal hard drive to my computer. This has been allocated the letter 'D' which I cannot change, the option being greyed out. I would like to change this if possible please. I now have 'A' 'C' 'D' 'E'(CD-ROM) and 'F'(CD+RW)listed in 'My Computer.' Drive 'C' is 40GB running at 7,200rpm and 'D'is 20GB running at 5,400rpm.

I used the following RUN command and switches to copy 'C' to 'D' - XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r which has been done. Checking both drives' Properties I see that my 'C' drive has 7,207 files and 715 folders - size is: 1.53GB, size on disk: 1.67GB. Drive 'D' shows only 7,189 files with 715 folders. Size is: 1.42GB, size on disk: 1.48GB. The switch /e is to ensure all the hidden files are copied, so why the difference here please?

My intention is to use the 'D' drive for backing up my PC. Can I do this by further switch commands or will I need to obtain suitable software?

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I hope there's enough info given for your deliberations.

Thanks guys. TC.

TOPCAT® 20:40 06 Jan 05

I've now found out the drive letters cannot be altered except by changing the order of the Config.sys statements, or loading 'dummy' drives to 'use up' drive letters. I'll leave things as they are I think! ;o)

Can anyone help on the backup question? TC.

User-312386 20:55 06 Jan 05

yes you can re-assign letters with this little utility click here

to back up to your new drive first of all you need to create a "send to" on the right click. Double "My Computer" right click the backup drive and select create shortcut. Now click start>run and type "sendto" (without the quotes). Now drag the newly created shortcut into the sendto folder. Hey presto you can now send files directly there

hope this helps

VoG II 21:06 06 Jan 05

Or use the MS Backup utility click here

TOPCAT® 21:32 06 Jan 05

Regarding the change drive letter question, it just goes to show that the MS support article 51978 isn't gospel after all! A nifty little tool madboy33©® and thanks for that.

VoG™

You know, I had completely forgotten about that MS backup tool and the fact it is not installed by default. Just goes to show how much backing up I've done in the past doesn't it? Absolutely shameful and very remiss of me. :o(

Others reading this might take note and learn from it. Thanks again for the help guys. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…