Updating drivers on internal modems

david20 13:18 08 Jun 04

As part of my 6-month camaign to get my pc back to
normal after re-istalling Win XP Pro, I am at a loss as to how to install the drivers on my interanal modem.
I have a CD with the drivers on required for my modem. I have a Media Player demo of exactly what to do on the same CD, which I underatand fully.
The instructions tell me to update my drivers by going to Control Panel/System. Under a long list of hardware on your pc, there should apparently be a 'Modem' option from which you load the drivers. However 'Modem' is not listed as part of the hardware on the pc.
Any ideas?
Cheers
PS Next year I may try to get sound back.
PPS Just autorunning the CD does not update the driver.

spanneress 13:22 08 Jun 04

Right click on my computer on desk top, select properties, select Hardware then device manager..if the modem is not shown there it will be listed as 'PCI communications device' or something like...right click that entry and go to driver properties in that menu, update and follow the wizrd to look for the driver on the CDROM. You will probably have to re-boot afterwards.

Jackcoms 13:22 08 Jun 04

Have you actually installed the driver/s from the CD you mention?

Eastender 13:23 08 Jun 04

How about 'Phone and Modem Options'?

johnsims 13:25 08 Jun 04

Two points that may be of help.
1. There are some modems that require the software drivers to be installed before the modem is physically plugged in to a pci socket. Hayes is one. I tried (I know better - hah!!) following a reinstall and had no end of problems with the OS recognising the modem. Had to admit I should follow instructions in the end, removed the modem, installed the drivers, reinstalled the modem and heypresto all OK.
2. Try Control Panel / Add new hardware - select modem and see if taking that tack helps.

david20 13:33 08 Jun 04

I haven't even got as far as intalling the drivers. I've tried Control Panel/Phone and Modem option, but when you list any modems it's a blank page.
Spanneress- I think I remember seeing a PCI Comms device option so I will try that tonight.

jack 13:43 08 Jun 04

XP has a slightly different layout in control panel. look for phone/modem icon.
click on then driver then update.
Then select from list - thats is the O/S ;ibrary of generic drivers.
There may be one already in the library for your moden.
However is doesn't matter the generic 56k listed will run.
You possible will get the found new hardware warning come up from time to time.
just click it offif the modem runs
Windoze gets the message eventually and stops askin.

jack 13:43 08 Jun 04

XP has a slightly different layout in control panel. look for phone/modem icon.
click on then driver then update.
Then select from list - thats is the O/S ;ibrary of generic drivers.
There may be one already in the library for your moden.
However is doesn't matter the generic 56k listed will run.
You possible will get the found new hardware warning come up from time to time.
just click it offif the modem runs
Windoze gets the message eventually and stops askin.

david20 11:14 09 Jun 04

I tried your suggestion last night Spanneress and it came up trumps. Thanks for the advice all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…