updating drivers

mitsme 13:41 20 Sep 07

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about updating drivers. I tried a site which gave me a list of drivers it recommended I update but were going to charge me for the service. Is this standard practice? I'm not very confident in my ability to too this, this would be the first I've attempted to do this. I've let driver updating slide on previous computers which lead to all sorts of problems. I'd like to avoid this with this computer.

TIA
Mitsme

A-Nonymous 13:43 20 Sep 07

Ok. First, what drivers are you trying to update. Second, what OS are you using (ie. XP, Vista)?

mitsme 15:59 20 Sep 07

using Win XP & I can't remember which drivers they were, will check again later.

Stuartli 18:05 20 Sep 07

Charging for drivers is a US custom - if you visit the websites of the hardware/software suppliers, you can download the latest drivers free.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:26 20 Sep 07

This is the site that I have used for 2 years....click here and it costs $30. Believe me it saves a huge amount of time updating as it will scan your computer and tell you which drivers to download. It is very useful if you have reformatted a computer that has no driver disk and it will save you ages trying to find USB/ethernet/sound etc. drivers.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:27 20 Sep 07

ps...they do not charge for the drivers just their programme.

G

S5W 19:30 20 Sep 07

GANDALF <|:-)>

I have spent ages over the years hunting for and installing updated drivers. Your post has just answered my prayers; as usual your input is accurate and concise, thank you.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:34 20 Sep 07

The fee is a one-off payment as well.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…