updating DMI pool data.....what the hell happened?

Pooke 10:28 13 Aug 05

Just turned PC on booted ok, got into windows, AVG updated as usual. Then screen goes black (no signal message appears) then the machine is going through the POST again and boots back into windows.

During boot up this time it states Processor is an "athlon XP1100", it's actually an athlon XP3200. It also says "updating DMI pool data.......success"

Why did this happen, and how do I get it to recognise my processor correctly?

Pooke 11:24 13 Aug 05

this is baffling me, searched and found out what dmi pool data is. A collection of data on the present hardware that the bios prepares and sends to the OS.

Learn something new everyday, anyway my processor isn't half what it used to be. Still says XP1100. Should be XP3200

Pooke

ACOLYTE 11:27 13 Aug 05

Try going in the bios and altering the FSB speed so you cpu chows the correct speed.Or it may need a new mobo battery.

dan11 11:51 13 Aug 05

if you were to alter any major component ( cpu, cdrom, hard drive, memory, etc. ) on the machine. Then on bootup the DMI pool data ( checksum) would be re-written.

You must of had a bad windows error ( conflict) for the machine to reboot and reset the cpu speed.

As ACOLYTE says, reboot, enter the bios and set the fsb of the cpu to 200Mhz. This will give you a multiplier of 11 (XP1100 @ 100Mhz ) X 200Mhz. This will give you a clock speed of 2.2Ghz. The speed of a 3200+ cpu.

Pooke 12:59 13 Aug 05

"You must of had a bad windows error ( conflict) for the machine to reboot and reset the cpu speed."

strange, I installed a dvd drive about 2 weeks ago and thats it. No problems at all. Anyway I just shut the computer down for an hour whilst I was out. Came back and everything is normal.

Still confused.

dan11 20:01 13 Aug 05

" Still confused."

The bios reset itself back to normal!!

Confused, also.;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac