Updating the clock from the internet

ade.h 21:40 05 Feb 05

I have had XP since it was released and, in that time, I have been able to get the Internet Time Update feature for the Windows clock to work just a couple of times.

Is this a common problem? Is there a cure, or is it just one of those little glitches which we have to live with?

I noticed that there are two servers from which to choose; are there any others which I can install myself?

Technotiger 21:45 05 Feb 05

Hi, I use Atomic clock from

click here

joethebow 21:54 05 Feb 05

Thanksfor the link, Just downloaded and installed the Atomic Clock link.

But do you think I should install i Giger Counter just in case? And if so where can I download one from?

ade.h 21:54 05 Feb 05

Thanks, Technotiger. I was four minutes fast.

I'd still rather have Windows update the time automatically, though. Does anyone know how I can get this feature to function consistently?

ade.h 21:59 05 Feb 05

I have had a closer look at the Atomic Clock Utility on that website's Downloads page, and it mentions the NIST. That's one of the servers that Windows tries to use, so I've no idea why the Windows equivalent doesn't work. I will try the Atomic Clock utility, and leave this thread open for now.

goonerbill © ® 01:51 06 Feb 05

it will only do it if your pc is connected to the net at the time, that the timer is set to check the time. if its not connected it will not update its self.

look in "help and support" for "Synchronizing your computer clock" or right click the clock, click adjust time/date, click internet tab and then click on the underlined item at the bottom and you will find the information.

dagwoood 12:27 06 Feb 05

ade.h, I couldn't get my system to update to the internet time and it was cured by temporarily turning my firewall off to allow it to update.

Also make sure that the "Windows time" service isn't disabled in Services.

HTH, dagwoood.

Zak 12:49 06 Feb 05

click here

Nice piece of freeware.

VoG II 12:55 06 Feb 05

click here

I use click here but it is not free.

ade.h 18:05 06 Feb 05

Goonerbill - my PC is on the net most of the time, and besides, I have kept the internet time feature on manual.

Dagwood - It doesn't work, with or without the firewall running, and it is correctly configured in the firewall's programs list.

I have repeatedly tried the Atomic Clock utility and that doesn't want to work either. It establishes a connection just fine, but none of the servers seem to respond.

I would really prefer to use the Windows equivalent, rather than have yet another piece of software. I guess there is no way to get it to work as it should. Has anyone out there managed to use it successfully?

Technotiger 19:42 06 Feb 05

I use Atomic Clock regularly, used it today, adjusted by 15secs, last time I adjusted was a couple of weeks ago.

Have not had any problems with it at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…