Updating Bios went wrong

pb457 19:11 17 Dec 08

Hi there, i got a new laptop from asus, unfortunatly it came with vista, i wanted to roll back to xp, but it blue screened on setup, after speaking to asus they said i needed to update my bios and it should work, all the instructions are on the website, so i followed them, however the whole process failed, as far as im aware i have erased the old bios, and havent mounted a new one. I am now stuck, i daren't turn the laptop off, in case it doesnt ever start up. Their helpline is now closed, is there a way i can mount this bios file i have without hving to turn off the laptop, please help.

Thanks

chub_tor 19:20 17 Dec 08

Is this the procedure that you followed click here

pb457 19:33 17 Dec 08

The one published on Asus website using winflash, which is asus's bios updating software, and is also included preinstalled on my laptop.
The link takes me to a general page on the asuswebsite, but there is only one procedure on threi believe, so i believe so.

The one published on Asus website using winflash, which is asus's bios updating software, and is also included preinstalled on my laptop.
The link takes me to a general page on the asuswebsite, but there is only one procedure on threi believe, so i believe so.

grey george 19:49 17 Dec 08

I think you will have to turn it off in order to re-do the bios. Did the procedure back up the old bios? if so you maybe able to restore to default.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:50 17 Dec 08

Why do you think the BIOS flash failed?

pb457 19:52 17 Dec 08

There was an error message i cannot remember wht it said now, but when i open winflash for the old bios details it says unknown in every box. I honestly dont know if it backed it up, everything was supposed to be taken care of by this programme, and it was supposed to be easy.
I just dont want to turn it off as i may never get it to boot up again.

grey george 20:00 17 Dec 08

If it has booted what condition is it in, has the os loaded? If you have no bios it shouldn't of been able to boot.

chub_tor 20:23 17 Dec 08

Winflash should have asked you to make a backup copy of the existing BIOS which you can save to your desktop ot to an external device such as a floppy, CD or memory stick. If you did this then you should be able to reinstall the old BIOS. After a successful flash you will be asked to reboot click here for the complete Winflash procedure. Did any of this procedure happen for you?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5