Updating BIOS and Drivers

goll_y 18:06 20 Sep 04

I've had some problems recently with the computer freezing. I have checked AVG, Adaware, Spybot and Spywareblaster which I have installed but nothing was there.

Someone has suggested updating BIOS and Drivers but I am unaware how to do this. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

I tried to update drivers but it always asks for the CD or floppy disk. Is there a way to update it from the Internet?

Diodorus Siculus 18:27 20 Sep 04

You can download the drivers for the various hardware and save to disk.

BISO - flashing this is recommened only if you are certain it is necessary.

Taw® 18:29 20 Sep 04

BIOS update should be left to the professioanls or at least someone who knows the risks. Updated drivers can be got from the manufacturers website normally and are relatively easy to download and install. click here download the home version and this will tell you all you have on your computer and identifies the home websites

alnwrd 18:31 20 Sep 04

driver updates can be done from the website of the maker of your device. If you do not know what components you have in you pc, download and run bellarc advisor.

bios update procedures depend on your motherboard. Again you will see which you have after running the above program.

Great care should be taken to back up the exisisting bios, follow the instructions on the mother board makers web site. If the bios update goes wrong your computer may not boot.

961 19:13 20 Sep 04

Unless there is a specific reason to update the BIOS, such as wishing to install a faster processor, then don't. If it all goes wrong in the process you can render the system useless.

If you look at the BIOS manufacturer's web site you will find details of the various updates and what they seek to do.

If your system is freezing this may be due to a variety of causes including high temperatures etc but unless it has happened from new, then I suggest the BIOS is not the place to start

goll_y 19:17 20 Sep 04

I won't upgrade bios then. I have updated graphics and monitor drivers. It still crashes however even when no software is running. I have gone to task manager and identified all the processes running. How do I know which ones should be there?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…