Updating BIOS

johndrew 15:33 21 Nov 08

I tend towards the argument that `if it ain`t broke don`t fix it` but given the age (if that is the right term) of the current BIOS I feel it may be worth asking the more expert among you.

I suppose the first question is, `is it worth the bother?`. The PC is running alright and I`m unlikely to be doing any upgrades, so is there really any advantage to be gained in risking an update even though the current BIOS is four years out of date?

If the answer to the above is `yes`, then I would ask if using the ASUS update facility is a good way to go? And if using this facility is it better to download to floppy or update directly online?

A bit of a pointer would be invaluable.

Thanks in anticipation.

skidzy 15:41 21 Nov 08

Your spot on JD :-)

If it aint broken...dont fix it.

Messing with a bios update can have some small rewards (and total failure of the machine) for you,however if no planned upgrades...i fail to see anything to be gained....especially if the machine is working ok.

Ive not flashed an ASUS bios but looking on there website,maybe the best option is through Windows (Updating the BIOS through a BIOS file) click here

Stuartli 16:29 21 Nov 08

Unless it's done for a specific purpose, updating the Bios can bring heartache if you make a mistake; best let it be.

Switcher 19:51 21 Nov 08

Crossing the road can be highly dangerous if you are not careful. However it does not stop people from doing it. Re bios update read and make sure that you fully understand the instructions then go ahead if you want to.

thms 19:55 21 Nov 08

I have just had a bios flash update fail and will need to return the motherboard for repair as it will not boot.

I needed to flash the bios as the board would not recognise a new cpu and the asus site recommended the latest bios.

I have updated the bios many times on asus boards and this is the first time I have encountered a problem.

I used the asus live update and it screwed up half way through the update leaving me with a corrupt bios. I informed asus about this and they are going to check out the board for me. unfortunately I may have to pay for this to be repaired if they can find know reason for the failed update.

So be very careful if you are considering flashing your bios without good reason.

rossgolf 21:24 21 Nov 08

bottom line is,
if you do it right then all is good
if not
you could render it un-usable

johndrew 10:06 22 Nov 08

I think, from what is said above, my first impression was correct. I shall leave well enough alone.

Many thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…