Updating BIOS

Thatslife 11:57 27 Dec 05

Been advised to update my computer's BIOS. Downloaded the file from the manufacturer's website but I don't know what to do next.

It's a .BIN file which I believe is Binary Data File (although I don't know what this is!)

I take it I need to put it somewhere......?????

Can anyone help?

VoG II 12:00 27 Dec 05

With respect, if you don't know what you are doing flashing the BIOS is a good way of rendering your PC unusable.

Why do you think that you need to do this?

DieSse 12:04 27 Dec 05

As VoG™ says - it's avery risky business - more so if you're unsure what you're doing.

So - who/where advised this?

Why was it advised?

Did you read the manufacturers blurb on what fixes the BIOS has and whether this includes your problem?

Manufacturers sites always include *how-to's* and warnings about BIOS updates - did you raed them and print them out for reference.

Thatslife 12:04 27 Dec 05

The chap from PNY asked me to do it. I posted problems with my new graphics carsd last week which seem to have been part solved but installing a patch for a game, updating the AGP BIOS, I'm getting a stuttering effect when watching DVDs and playing games (not all the time).

I was told to make sure everything was updated, drivers etc which they are so next it was the BIOS....

VOG, I've been told by a friend I shouldn't really touch it, but I don't know what to do next?

SG Atlantis® 12:06 27 Dec 05

you could start by telling us the spec of your computer. What graphics card is it and which game are you having difficulty with?

Thatslife 14:32 27 Dec 05

All of them really - Chronicles of Riddick, Fire Warrior, KOTR2.

The card is a GeForce 6 6600LE 256MB.

Comp is AMD64 3400, 1GB RAM Win XP home SP2.

Stuartli 17:44 27 Dec 05

What make and model is the motherboard?

citadel 18:03 27 Dec 05

The 6600le is a poor card. As you have a good spec pc a 6600gt, 6800, or 6600gt would give a massive boost to games, plus you could play them in high detail settings.

SG Atlantis® 18:28 27 Dec 05

citadel I am running a 256mb 6200 which runs games absolutely fine, just a bit slow on high detail but pretty darn good on medium setting.

Although I have a amd64 3700 and 2gig of ram.

Have you tried rolling back the graphics drivers to older ones? sometimes that works.

Stuartli 19:32 27 Dec 05

I repeat. What is the make and model of the motherboard?

You are asking about updating the Bios.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:42 27 Dec 05

I think he has been advised By PNY to update the video card BIOS

In which case they shuld have the apropriate flash program on thier site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…