updating backups

archie330 16:39 24 Dec 07

I have made a copy of all my photographs on a memory stick.
What is the recommended method of updating this backup with my new photos.

tullie 16:48 24 Dec 07

Add the new ones!

archie330 17:14 24 Dec 07

I'm sorry i did not explain clearly enough.

My main photo files are on my hard drive to which, over time, I add new ones.
So what I am looking for is a method that will just add the new ones to the memory stick without me having to add them individually.

scotty 21:20 24 Dec 07

I make backups using the following command which can be used in a command window (MS-DOS prompt) on by creating a batch file:

XCOPY C:\PHOTOS\*.* F:\PHOTOS\*.* /D /S /F /H /Y

In this example I am copying all files in the directory named photos on my C drive to a directory named Photos on device F. The /D flag ensures that you only copy new files.

You can read more about the XCOPY command here: click here

If you do not like this method, you can do as tullie says. In Explorer you can order your files by date by clicking on the Modified column. With the files ordered you can just select the new files and copy directly.

Stuartli 00:16 25 Dec 07

I use BounceBack (it came with my external Seagate OneTouch hard drive), which updates incrementally once the first backup has been undertaken.

I installed the original from the Seagate CD-ROM and then downloaded the latest version (7.1.6) free at:

click here

Stuartli 00:23 25 Dec 07

An alternative could be Keren Kenworthy's Replicator from her website at:

click here

rdave13 00:27 25 Dec 07

Whatever backups you use then double them. Backup to flash drives and dvd/cd. Make a new folder and rename when you have new photos or docs.
Commonsense really but be aware that any backup media can fail, even the mighty Acronis from what I've read.

Stuartli 01:15 25 Dec 07

An alternative could be Keren Kenworthy's Replicator from her website at:

click here

Diemmess 09:19 25 Dec 07

EZBackitup is a freebie which is ideal for backing up data and of course photos.

It offers a window like Explorer where you can specify what you want to back up and where you want to put it.

This can be either a complete copy or copy only those files which have changed.

You can save each particular plan as a name and run the selected program with a single click.

archie330 19:29 25 Dec 07

Thanks guys there is enough info here to sove my particular problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…