Updating anti-spyware & Anti-Virus for AVG 8.0

ladyrevenge 21:27 26 Jul 08

Hello!
My husband and I both have identical, new Dell laptops and I installed the latest AVG free version on mine and it works brilliantly. But a while ago I had to reinstall Windows XP on my husband's because he had a major virus problem thanks to his 14 year old daughter. After that, I installed the latest AVG free version on his, but when I do an update for it, it tells me the anti-virus and anti-spyware databases are out of date. This has never happened on my laptop, so I don't understand why his is doing this. Is there a driver or something I overlooked when reinstalling his Windows that may interfere with AVG? I cannot think of anything that would keep it from updating those databases. Mine is just fine and all databases are up to date. If anyone can help me with this issue, I would be greatly appreciative!!
LadyRevenge

Sea Urchin 22:04 26 Jul 08

This problem has been resolved in the past by uninstalling AVG and then reinstalling - in between I suggest you clean up with something like CCleaner

peter99co 22:51 26 Jul 08

AVG has a repair function and I suggest you ask about that before you uninstall. i have just had to fix my daughters by installing again. After she uninstalled, I had to do a system restore to a date before her uninstall and then install repair. If all that makes sense. It worked

ladyrevenge 02:54 27 Jul 08

I tried the repair feature but it still said the anti-virus and anti-spyware databases were not updated. I guess now I will try to uninstall completely and reinstall and see what that does. Thank you both so far for your help! It's greatly appreciated!!
LadyRevenge

ladyrevenge 03:37 27 Jul 08

Okay, I just reinstalled and the anti-virus & anti-spyware databases were still out of date, but I went to the AVG website's help section and there was an update that I downloaded and that has apparently fixed my problem because it now says that those two databases are updated now. So thank you SO MUCH for your help!

LadyRevenge

Sea Urchin 11:14 27 Jul 08

Delighted to hear that it is sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…