Updates were unable to be sucessfully inatalled

newearwax 16:35 03 Feb 05

Just now I tried to install some optional s/ware and h/ware updates but I keep getting the message as shown in title. It does not seem to matter if i select singly or two/three a time. I am on XP Home SP2 and use free Zone Alarm and Avast Hime 4.5.561.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, please?

BTW I did a thoriugh scan including archives this morning and all was clear, so would think a virus is quite unlikely.

bertiecharlie 18:53 03 Feb 05

You could try getting the updates from the Microsoft Download Centre click here

I had trouble installing NetFramework eg. from Windows Update but was able to save the download to disk from the Download Centre. This allows you to shut down all other programmes, including internet connection, before installing.

newearwax 21:28 03 Feb 05

Thanks it worked but strangely it would not allow me to save first and also wanted an earlier update for OE6 that did not show up on list of available updates. Downloaded and dan both and all is well.

BTW is Netframework 1.1 a must have installed. It mentions developers, which I presume means people who program.

bertiecharlie 08:55 04 Feb 05

You only really need the NetFramework if you are running certain programmes which rely on it eg. CleaneCache or CleanMOCache. (I think some back up/imaging programmes require it as well).Its quite a big download of 20 odd mb and it adds a ton of entries into the registry.

If you are interested in a piece of software that requires it, you'll be advised about it on the particular website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…