Updates of Java and Active X, can they upset my tranquil life?

Diemmess 09:39 29 Nov 13
Answered

Have had a fairly torrid time with email attachments which though present would neither Open nor Save.

Had a thread running about this which unfortunately didn't fix the problem I think the only thing which coincided with the bother, was to update free Active X and Java. A more or less up to date Acronis Restore, gave me respite though I did have to log in to several sites again including emails.

Now Java has popped up offering its update and I expect Active X will do the same. The system is XP using Comodo as Firewall and MS Windows security for the anti virul stuff. Malwarebytes and CCleaner are used regularly but have yet to find any mischief.

Question

If I strip Java out and run CCleaner before downloading and installing a fresh updated (freebie)version is this likely to avoid another stoppage in the email line? In other words uninstall first and then install from scratch?

lotvic 10:47 29 Nov 13

On your other thread, Woolwell gave a link to Bt Community where others had the solution to the attachments problem. They re-set/ re-booted router. Seems to have something to do with the BT change of servers that has been going on for last few months.

Diemmess 11:30 29 Nov 13

lotvic

Thanks, I did scan through that BT Community. I agree that a router reboot is unlikely to cause trouble. Just at the moment BT are separating away from Yahoo, and after the second restore from an Acronis Backup I was being challenged for passwords all over the place.

So at present I will ignore the recent trouble, use the PC as usual, and probably reboot the Router over the weekend, once I'm sure things are normal

Jock1e This forum seemed to agree among the time-honoured members that XP was adequately covered by the MS security though later versions Vista,W7 and W8 all needed their own anti-malware. I use CCleaner only to sweep up the orphaned and other code lines which tend to clutter the corners through time

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:51 29 Nov 13

MSE is no longer a viable antivirus system MS have already admitted it is inadequate compared to other free antivirus available.

I would no longer recommend MSE and agree with Jock1e uninstall it and use Avast.

Woolwell 13:00 29 Nov 13

Be careful when updating Java as it can install the Ask toolbar and Mcafee Security Scanner. Make sure that you check each step and untick as necessary.

I don't think that your email problems will change by a java update.

Batch 17:35 29 Nov 13

Chances are that if you uninstall Java you will never have cause to miss it. Relatively few websites tend to use it. A few applications might use it (e.g. some parts of LibreOffice), but you can always reinstall if required.

But as Woolwell said, it is unlikely to be affecting you email.

Diemmess 19:46 01 Dec 13
Answer

This and my other thread about being unable to open attachments have spawned some very original answers and i have spent a long time playing with them.

Observation of the behaviour around the email screen shows (I believe), a toggling action between BT Mail and BT? Yahoo Mail. On loading there is a default which will load with or without the Yahoo bit and can be toggled by clicking on the large Yahoo logo at the top left of the page.

Not a scientific approach from me, but with one click there is fully readable Email with attachments, and one click later I can do nothing to separate the attachment or work on the email.

This prompted me to risk a large chunk out of my day and try BT Broadband Help.

After a raft of alternatives I was talking to a subcontinental man with a good command of English, and though there were moments of stalemate I think I learned that within days now BT will be leaving out the Yahoo bit of email to BT Mail or that's how I understood it. He said the migration would be done without the customer having to do a thing.

Diemmess 22:36 01 Dec 13

This and my other thread about being unable to open attachments have spawned some very original answers and i have spent a long time playing with them.

Observation of the behaviour around the email screen shows (I believe), a toggling action between BT Mail and BT? Yahoo Mail. On loading there is a default which will load with or without the Yahoo bit and can be toggled by clicking on the large Yahoo logo at the top left of the page.

Not a scientific approach from me, but with one click there is fully readable Email with attachments, and one click later I can do nothing to separate the attachment or work on the email.

This prompted me to risk a large chunk out of my day and try BT Broadband Help.

After a raft of alternatives I was talking to a subcontinental man with a good command of English, and though there were moments of stalemate I think I learned that within days now BT will be leaving out the Yahoo bit of email to BT Mail or that's how I understood it. He said the migration would be done without the customer having to do a thing.

Diemmess 09:53 02 Dec 13

Sorry for the duplicate post. I must have tried hard to do this!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…