Updates causing problems

pipkin 18 Feb 12

Hi After windows7 updates have been installed (on 2 occassions now) I'm left with a white screen. Then the msg IE cannot display webpage. The diagnosis can't ID the problem either. My BT help-search also brings up the same IE msg cannot display webpage. On these 2 occassions I've had to apply a system restore which does solve the issue. As updates need to be installed how can I get round this problem. Any advise welcome. Thanks

northumbria61 18 Feb 12

Go to Windows Updates - Installed Updates - remove the recently installed 7 updates - restart your PC - reinstall updates one at a time - you should find the problem one.

northumbria61 18 Feb 12

The problem one you can choose to "hide" - it may even be that you don't need it at present.

pipkin 19 Feb 12

Hi Many thanks for your fast response & suggestion. The trouble seems to be the installation of IE9. Is it possible to revert back to IE8 without repercussions?

northumbria61 19 Feb 12

Follow the instructions here for uninstalling IE 9 and revert to previous version enter link description here

northumbria61 19 Feb 12

Note

After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your PC. It isn't necessary to reinstall.

pipkin 20 Feb 12

Many thanks again for your help. Between my last post and your reply a friend suggested checking out IE tab settings. I changed "let IE decide" to " always open new tab" in the settings....and it's done the trick, all's back to normal. All your help's appreciated.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message