Updates causing problems

pipkin 14:50 PM 18 Feb 12

Hi After windows7 updates have been installed (on 2 occassions now) I'm left with a white screen. Then the msg IE cannot display webpage. The diagnosis can't ID the problem either. My BT help-search also brings up the same IE msg cannot display webpage. On these 2 occassions I've had to apply a system restore which does solve the issue. As updates need to be installed how can I get round this problem. Any advise welcome. Thanks

northumbria61 15:05 PM 18 Feb 12

Go to Windows Updates - Installed Updates - remove the recently installed 7 updates - restart your PC - reinstall updates one at a time - you should find the problem one.

northumbria61 15:07 PM 18 Feb 12

The problem one you can choose to "hide" - it may even be that you don't need it at present.

pipkin 12:02 PM 19 Feb 12

Hi Many thanks for your fast response & suggestion. The trouble seems to be the installation of IE9. Is it possible to revert back to IE8 without repercussions?

northumbria61 12:11 PM 19 Feb 12

Follow the instructions here for uninstalling IE 9 and revert to previous version enter link description here

northumbria61 12:12 PM 19 Feb 12

Note

After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your PC. It isn't necessary to reinstall.

pipkin 10:18 AM 20 Feb 12

Many thanks again for your help. Between my last post and your reply a friend suggested checking out IE tab settings. I changed "let IE decide" to " always open new tab" in the settings....and it's done the trick, all's back to normal. All your help's appreciated.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…