updates are ready etc

greyballs 20:02 21 Sep 08

hi two days ago i got the sheild in my task bar,so i clicked to install i also had to agree to terms/conditions etc,avising me to close any progs.the update turned out to be service pack 3 but half way through error message read unable to complete need to shut down,your computer may be adversly affected and it was.(these are my words ican not remember the exact text)it took a long time for system restore to work and i lost 10% disc space in the process.do i need this update,should i try again,what did i do wrong.any ideas or help would be brill(sorry for the novel)

john bunyan 20:18 21 Sep 08

Suggest you read the many threads on this. basically best to download SP3 to desktop - dont install. Then sisconnect from internet, disable firewall and anti virus, install SP3.Restart, then re-enable firewall and anti virus.Then back on internet and check for update.

john bunyan 20:20 21 Sep 08

spellin error! Disconnect not sisconnect. If SP3 has installed by mistake, uninstall and try again.

greyballs 21:02 21 Sep 08

thanks john will look back for some info as you suggest. i did have my internet connected?.
also i have avg 7.5 will that have to be disabled and how?

Sea Urchin 21:23 21 Sep 08

To disable AVG right-click icon in system tray and click Exit

peter99co 14:33 22 Sep 08

Update your AVG to version 8 when you can.

peter99co 14:35 22 Sep 08

Let the download occur and turn off anti virus before install begins.

greyballs 16:58 22 Sep 08

hi sea urchin right click amongst others gives me 'quit control centre' dont know if thats the same? will give it a go
took john bunyans advice and read a few reports on sp3 sounds a bit scary to me!

greyballs 17:04 22 Sep 08

hi peter still got nearly a year left on 7.5 ? my inlaw had a torrid time when he changed from norton to avg 8 i told him to post on here cause avg could not help !

provider 2 17:17 22 Sep 08

No need to worry about SP3. Plenty of people have installed it without any trouble.

The main things seem to be to make sure you have enough disc space (a defrag won`t do any harm), temporarily disable your AV and make a restore point first. click here

If you have an AMD processor you may need the Ms SP3 Upgrade Utility but that`s something of a minority issue.click here

provider 2 17:21 22 Sep 08

If you have an HP machine click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac