updateing to winxp from winme ????? come on in VOG

kimosabi 16:27 01 Oct 03

Hi guys
My brother is running winme and wants to use winxp home.He has the sealed winxp disc. His set is
gateway computer,intel celeron processor 191 omdram 10gb hard drive.He can,t just install winxp because it tells him he can,t do it from winme.What is the best way out of this,should he uninstall WinME first, if so how? all help would be greatfully received
regards
kimosabi

johnbhoy 16:32 01 Oct 03

Kimosabi - Not sure about Windows XP home edition, but with the Pro edition I was able to either upgrade my Windows 98SE or do a clean install of XP and hence create a dual boot. I would have thought this would be possible with Windows ME and XP home. I would suggest backing up all important data and then doing a format of the hard drive and install XP afterwards.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

mdshamilton 16:37 01 Oct 03

I also have a Gateway PC, a P2 400Mhz. Doing an XP Home upgrade went fine. One way to do it (which worked for me) would be to go into the BIOS and enable the PC to be booted from the CD-ROM drive. Put the XP Home disk there, boot from it and do the upgrade - as JohnBhoy says, make sure you back up beforehand!

kimosabi 20:14 01 Oct 03

thanks JOHNBHOY & MdSHamilton
will tell my bro what he can try
he did try to install winxp but the system said that he could not do that over winme so i think a complete uninstall my be the best option
thanks again for your help
kimo

Jester2K II 20:16 01 Oct 03

You can only upgrade with an Upgrade disc and not a Clean Install Disk.

kimosabi 20:53 06 Oct 03

thanks jester does that mean he should remove winme first.
regards
kimo

soy 21:03 06 Oct 03

As mdshamilton said, set the PC to boot from CD-ROM. Insert the Xp disk and reboot the computer. The setup screen will appear with Instructions. One of these will be to format partition. Format the C: drive and then you should be able to install XP.

VoG II 22:29 06 Oct 03

soy is correct. To do this you need to access the BIOS which simply involves pressing a key before Windows starts to load. Which key? click here

You then need to navigate the screens and find one to change the boot order.

The alternative is to do this via a boot disk click here - I think you'll agree that soy's method is the simplest!

kimosabi 00:37 07 Oct 03

Thanks guys
will inform brother and we will follow your instruction thanks again for all your help
will post the result.
regards
kimo

DieSse 00:48 07 Oct 03

If you have the full Retail Version, you can Upgrade or do a fresh install (it says so in my XP PRO documentation.)

If you have the OEM version - then you can only do a fresh install, I believe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…