Updated My PC With Win XP GDI-Now it wont start

belcanto 23:55 06 Dec 05

I Win XP kept on demanding I update my Athlon XP PC, so I finally gave in, to my regret. Everything was fine until I downloaded GDI and then re-started my Pc as advised. Since then i get to the win xp loading screen, then the HD light goes out. There is a brief flash on screen of some writing and the PC gets into a cycle of restarting, can anyone please help? My rig has 512 mem, Nvidea mother board, FX5200 AGP, 80gb hd.

TIA-belcanto

Skills 23:59 06 Dec 05

Can you get into safe mode tap F8 as the PC boot ups and then choose safe mode then see if you can uninstall the update from add/remove or try system restore to a previous point before the update.

belcanto 18:18 07 Dec 05

I have tried to do the f8 option-all that happpens is that the PC seems to load as if it is going to be okay. And then the HD light goes out. There is a brief flash on screen of some writing and the PC gets into a cycle of restarting. What other options do I have?

Tia-Belcanto

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:54 07 Dec 05

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

PaulB2005 20:58 07 Dec 05

and i know i'll kick myself but what is "Win XP GDI"

VoG II 21:00 07 Dec 05

click here possibly? I don't know either.

woodchip 21:09 07 Dec 05

Try starting by keep pressing F5 then select Safe mode if you get in do a System restore

Mytob 22:58 07 Dec 05

If i were you id wipe windoz and start again. Update features with it are a joke like all M$ programs. As for getting you files back id get a pen drive and a friend to burn you a copy of slax linux click here . This will enable you to boot into a kde gui and retrive you files from the windoz partition and copy them to a pendrive. Then reinstall windows and try again.

PaulB2005 23:02 07 Dec 05

"Update features with it are a joke like all M$ programs"

Oh dear. Another bored 12 year old loose in the forum. Go on then let's see your programming prowess.....

belcanto 13:24 10 Dec 05

Thank you to everyone (barring the linux suggestion) for your tips. The solution from fruitbat worked and my PC now works again. Once again thanks alot to everyone.

Belcanto

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…