Updated Laptop Request

morddwyd 08:03 18 May 12

Some weeks ago I posted for help with a laptop replacement

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4121258/laptop-pc-replacement/

My need has suddenly become more urgent (remember "Problem Solved)?!

Unfortunately the suggestions which some of you made then are no longer available.

Anybody got any new suggestions for a 15 in or so touch screen laptop, other than the £1000+ Iconia, well outside my price range?

KRONOS the First 13:02 18 May 12

Not the screen size you are looking for. HP TouchSmart. or Acer Aspire 5738PG which is.

morddwyd 14:15 18 May 12

The Acer is the one I broke, and is no longer available, and the HP is only available second hand.

john bunyan 16:53 18 May 12

Although not a laptop this may be worth a look. It seems curious that W8 and touch screen is coming with so few laptops available.

Dell

morddwyd 20:34 18 May 12

Thanks. Unfortunately I need limited portability, though I have looked at all in ones, and some of the larger tablets.

If I can't find anything before I shall hang on until October, when hopefully there will be a rush of touch screens, though I shall definitely un-install the dreadful Windows 8, unless the retail version is a vast improvement over the preview release!

Woolwell 21:12 18 May 12

I am surprised at the lack of availability and the price.

Have you contacted Acer about repair costs?

morddwyd 09:16 19 May 12

Not yet.

Under normal circumstances the cost of a major repair on a two year old laptop would be better put towards a new, more up-to-date one, but I may have to go down that road.

I have a local repair shop so I'll go there first to get some sort of ballpark figure.

Woolwell 15:43 20 May 12

Looking on the Acer spare part site a replacement screen will cost 408 euros before VAT.

john bunyan 16:03 20 May 12

That is expensive. My grand daughter's 15.5 inch Toshiba cost £100, but only for a normal screen.

morddwyd 19:34 20 May 12

Illustrates my point exactly.

That sort of money is best put towards a new machine with state of the art, not two year old, technology.

Thanks for your continued interest though.

morddwyd 20:31 24 May 12

Final update

Found a discontinued and discounted Acer Aspire 5745 PG locally today and snapped it up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009