Updated Laptop Request

morddwyd 08:03 AM 18 May 12

Some weeks ago I posted for help with a laptop replacement

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4121258/laptop-pc-replacement/

My need has suddenly become more urgent (remember "Problem Solved)?!

Unfortunately the suggestions which some of you made then are no longer available.

Anybody got any new suggestions for a 15 in or so touch screen laptop, other than the £1000+ Iconia, well outside my price range?

KRONOS the First 13:02 PM 18 May 12

Not the screen size you are looking for. HP TouchSmart. or Acer Aspire 5738PG which is.

morddwyd 14:15 PM 18 May 12

The Acer is the one I broke, and is no longer available, and the HP is only available second hand.

john bunyan 16:53 PM 18 May 12

Although not a laptop this may be worth a look. It seems curious that W8 and touch screen is coming with so few laptops available.

Dell

morddwyd 20:34 PM 18 May 12

Thanks. Unfortunately I need limited portability, though I have looked at all in ones, and some of the larger tablets.

If I can't find anything before I shall hang on until October, when hopefully there will be a rush of touch screens, though I shall definitely un-install the dreadful Windows 8, unless the retail version is a vast improvement over the preview release!

Woolwell 21:12 PM 18 May 12

I am surprised at the lack of availability and the price.

Have you contacted Acer about repair costs?

morddwyd 09:16 AM 19 May 12

Not yet.

Under normal circumstances the cost of a major repair on a two year old laptop would be better put towards a new, more up-to-date one, but I may have to go down that road.

I have a local repair shop so I'll go there first to get some sort of ballpark figure.

Woolwell 15:43 PM 20 May 12

Looking on the Acer spare part site a replacement screen will cost 408 euros before VAT.

john bunyan 16:03 PM 20 May 12

That is expensive. My grand daughter's 15.5 inch Toshiba cost £100, but only for a normal screen.

morddwyd 19:34 PM 20 May 12

Illustrates my point exactly.

That sort of money is best put towards a new machine with state of the art, not two year old, technology.

Thanks for your continued interest though.

morddwyd 20:31 PM 24 May 12

Final update

Found a discontinued and discounted Acer Aspire 5745 PG locally today and snapped it up!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…