Updated computer with Asus A7N8X motherboard &....

Bodi 23:26 01 Aug 03

Having updated my computer with the above motherboard & an XP2400 CPU - found that I couldn't disable the O/S in the BIOS - something I always do. - very irritating.

The motherboard drivers were a real pain to install - until I disabled goodness knows what in the BIOS, but now have an intermittent problem with Win 98SE not "restarting" - will shut down without a problem, go into "standby mode", but 3 times out of five will not restart (pressing the restart). You know the usual thing after installing drivers etc. - "you will have to restart your computer etc. etc". - I have to press the "reset" button to restart. Anyone have an ideas? Please!

Clarify - pressing restart shuts down Windows and the Computer.

Bodi

Bodi 09:04 02 Aug 03

who has this board can give me some tips on setting it up?

Can't run Asus Probe either!

Was this motherboard designed for use of Windows XP? I am tempted to install XP but it doesn't like my modem, scanner or printer - or for that matter my Adaptec SCSI Host Adapter. --- sssssssssccccccccrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaam

Bodi

shortcircuit 09:54 02 Aug 03

I can't say I have had problems with the Asus A7n8x, But I have always used Xp. When it comes to drivers, Xp has most of them to use anyway, so its a case of updating what you don't like. i.e graphics.Nforce chip is a modern chipset. Should be ok, but I bet it would be a breeze with Xp.

willhay 09:56 02 Aug 03

The board runs great with XP, i just cant get the 6 channel sound working

gis1 10:16 02 Aug 03

HI
had the same problem with windows me would not restart.saw i put xp on and its works fine.
check that the sounds switched on in bios and a clean install.

Bodi 15:50 02 Aug 03

Looks like I'll have to try XP then......... and hope I can get my scanner, printer, modem (a Pace with no upgrade drivers) and SCSI card to work.

There are other things that don't work properly, - Asus Probe amongst them - will have to go back to motherboard to enable SMB bus whatever that is! lol

Oh this modern education is so painful!

Bodi

Bodi 18:17 02 Aug 03

and now have XP on the machine - have to update a few drivers (hopefully!), but at least it put a generic driver on for my modem.

Thanks for your help - always a few angels on here aren't there? Thank you

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…