Updated BIOS, Should I reinstall Windows XP Home ?

Giggle n' Bits 21:32 26 Dec 03

I updated the Bios on my Motherboard, should I reinstall a clean windows XP ?

Also does anyone know if APIC or PIC should be set in BIOS for a AMD Athlon XP CPU, 1 PCI Modem, and a External USB Broadband Modem ?

Merry Christmas to all and hope your all sober here tonight.

critic-al 21:37 26 Dec 03

Most desktop computers show significant performance problems when using APIC mode. The timing critical access not only X-Realtime also audio hardware is no longer guaranteed.
This one-interrupt-for-all is caused by the automatically chosen ACPI mode during installation. Normally this should be no problem, but here the IRQ sharing suffers from bad performance. The computer won't crash, and everything works, but not as good as it should. The remedy is to change from ACPI to Standard-PC mode. Here's how to do it:

One method is to repair the Windows OS using the installation CD.

Another method is through the Device Manager (Control Panel/System/Hardware), click on 'Computer', then double click on 'ACPI-PC'. Go on with 'Driver' and 'Update Driver'. Select 'Display a list of the known drivers for this device', then 'Show all hardware of this device class'. Now you can select 'Standard-PC' in the list shown in the right window. !!! Afterwards change BIOS entry !!!

Giggle n' Bits 21:54 26 Dec 03

A Very detailed and informative reply also, U know your stuff and must be sober !.

Thanks for the call critic-al and Merry Christmas and also Best Wishes.

Kallita.

Giggle n' Bits 22:06 26 Dec 03

problem which I have been trying to sort out for a while,

A7V8X-X Motherboard with a 128MB Agp x8 Creative Blaster 5, AMD XP2400 Athlon, 2x 256MB PC2700 DDR CL2, 80GB IBM Deskstar ATA100 DVD Drive. Running WinXP Home with SP1a, 16x DVD Drive & 52x32x52 slave to secondary. HDD is on its own as Primary master.

Problem is it seems to struggle when booting at the screen which shows the configuration of IRQ's, UDMAs, screen.

Any ideas or fixes would be appreciated. I did try changing CD Wrtr on Slave to HDD but it was worst.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…