Update of Windows Media Player now Start Problems

RCMB 10:41 20 Aug 08

I updated Windows media player on 16 August. Since then computer has been unusable in normal mode.

Computer starts up - desktop looks normal, but with fewer icons than usual adjacent to clock. About 20 sec later, desktop blanks then recovers, but now with no icons near clock. 20 sec later this repeats; another 20 sec and Dr Watson message appears - 'needs to close etc'.

This occurs for all users.

I can now only run in safe mode.

Have tried setting up a new user(administrator), but this does not work either.

Andsome 10:43 20 Aug 08

Have you tried a system restore to a time before your update?

RCMB 10:55 20 Aug 08

Thanks Andsome. I have tried this but system resore will not work to any previous restore point. Does not work in safe mode either.

brundle 11:00 20 Aug 08

Go to start menu/run,type

msconfig

Click Startup tab. Untick the latter half of your startup entries. Reboot. If no better, do the same again, untick the ticked entries, ticked the unticked (the other half in other words). Reboot. Narrow down which startup program is causing your system to crash using the method above, dividing the list in half every time until you find the culprit.

RCMB 11:27 20 Aug 08

Thanks Brundle. Have now tried msconfig. Tried diagnostic mode with no success (desktop, but unresponsive) and then tried (as suggested), half of normal enties at a time. In each case there was wallpaper only, no desktop icons.

brundle 11:31 20 Aug 08

Something hooked into Explorer causing it to crash as soon as it loads by the sound of it. What programs do you use that add entries to the right-click menu? Any recent additions of such programs? WMP is a possibility - you can (partially) disable WMP integration if you can get into Windows successfully;

start/menu,run

type

regsvr32 /u wmpshell.dll

RCMB 11:46 20 Aug 08

Thanks Brundle.
I can get into windows in safe mode. So will try your suggestion. Got to go out for a while now, will try again later.

RCMB 17:01 20 Aug 08

Brundle. Tried your suggestion with wmpshell. Now just get wallpaper & task bar (empty except for clock) no icons on desktop. No response (arrow never changes to hourglass)

provider 2 17:27 20 Aug 08

Anything useful here?

click here

RCMB 17:33 20 Aug 08

Thanks Provider2, I will check this out.

RCMB 09:54 22 Aug 08

I have looked at the site suggested by provider2. Nothing direct here, but will post a query on that site. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5