Update server failure

maltose 17:39 14 May 08

On start up, just before making the internet connection, a pop up window shows bottom rh of my pc saying "The connection with update server has failed". What should I do -if anything? I am using Windows XP home edition.

MAT ALAN 17:56 14 May 08

Whatever you have configured to look for updates when you turn on your PC is generating the error message, find that and set it to manual update...

maltose 18:32 14 May 08

Thank you Mat Alan for your very prompt reply. This problem is a recent one and does not follow any new programme being loaded. It does however follow the installation of new hardware (an IR dongle) which had no microsoft signature and when disconnected caused the pc to crash into a blue screen proclaiming a "serious problem".

Should I perhaps download Windows Update Server?

MAT ALAN 18:56 14 May 08

Do you have the latest drivers for it, try downloading and installing from manufacturers website...

maltose 21:26 14 May 08

Hi Mat Alan I tried a system restore and that seems to have sorted it - thanks for your interest and help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…