update or not?

bendigo 14:37 06 Jan 07

are there any 'for and against' arguments about automatic updates or indeed allowing any at all. ( windows in particular). During a recent spell of pc instability (BSOD) and the necessary use of system restore to boot up, the only outside activity during a session being auto updates. Attempting to use the same restore again did not work. Update the cause??
Happily the instability seems to have been successfully cured, but I am now chary of updates. Hence my question.

Technotiger 14:42 06 Jan 07

Hi, auto updates, just a matter of personal preference I huess. I use auto-update all the time, for XP and for certain other programs I have.

Technotiger 14:43 06 Jan 07

Ooops - guess , not huess :-)

Mr Mistoffelees 14:50 06 Jan 07

I use auto-update, set so that it just informs when updates are available. Then I can go to Microsoft Update, run the scan and decide for myself which ones I want to install. The vast majority I do install but there are from time to time updates that are irrelevant and it avoids auto-update slowing the pc down when I am in the middle of playing a game.

birdface 16:37 06 Jan 07

I would say no, Mr Mistoffelees has got the right answer,Sometime something comes up that you dont want to download,Like recently IE7,And it pester's you with the flashing security sign that you have an up-date,And it wont go away till you find someway of refusing it,Or you download it anyway just to get rid of it,so if it warns you that you have up-dates,Its just as easy to run microsoft and download the one's that you want,As from now,i will be doing it that way.

Technotiger 16:39 06 Jan 07

I should have added that I too use the Updates Available option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…