Update ME to XPpro

chriscross72 20:26 22 Nov 04

My partners laptop currently has windows ME installed which is a horrid OS in my opinion...
Would XP pro install over that ok and give no problems if we were to just put the disc into the machine.
It has a 6gb hard drive and 188mb ram and an Athlon 550mhz processor...
Would there be any things to avoid or would XP replace ME in a nice polite way ???

Thank you : ))

VoG II 20:29 22 Nov 04

Others will tell you that it is best to do a clean install but I did exactly what you are suggested about 3 years ago and I have had no problems whatsoever. If you do want to clean install, the XP installation should give you the option to format the drive before installing.

wotbus@ 20:39 22 Nov 04

Check before you buy, as I have a feeling WinMe will only accept XP Home.

woodt 20:53 22 Nov 04

You will probably have problems with the Modem on the laptop. Download the latest drivers first. Check it out here click here

gold 47 10:12 23 Nov 04

A warning W2000 Pro has very large updates in access of 35meg so you will require a broadband connection or you will take over three hours via dial up if not longer.

gold 47 10:14 23 Nov 04

Sorry gave you the wrong info ignor.

leo49 10:23 23 Nov 04

As VoG™ says the Pro will install over just fine.

2 things to bear in mind,though.

1. With 188mb of ram XP will run but will be a bit slow.

2. In comparison to ME, the XP OS is enormous so once you've installed programs and amassed some data that 6gb HDD might become rather full.

wotbus@ 11:47 24 Nov 04

Re my post yesterday; OK to upgrade Me to XP Pro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…