Update for Internet Explorer 6 for XP SP2

Sirpad 16:46 11 Dec 05

I was trying to add something on eBay and came across a problem trying to install it's ActiveX.

I got the 'report to Microsoft' routine and was then was told I needed the following.

'Update for Internet Explorer 6 for XP Service Pack 2 (KB888240)'

My question is......this update is from 2004. Will this effect previous updates? My PC is only a month old and I assumed the version of IE I got (6) would have come equipped with all the previous updates. Maybe this is not the case. I just don't want to install this update and jeopardize anything.

Any ideas out there.

DieSse 17:04 11 Dec 05

"I assumed the version of IE I got (6) would have come equipped with all the previous updates"

Could be a very wrong assumption. Just because XP with SP" was on your system, I have seen many companies content themselves with that, and not update the many changes that have come out since SP2.

I suggest you log on to the Windows Update site rather soon - and both check for outstanding updates, and set your system to the latest schema for installing updates automatically.

Stuartli 17:55 11 Dec 05

SP2 was first released in early August 2004 - there have been many SP3 updates since that time as a look on the Microsoft website's security bulletins page will reveal.

Such updates are released on the second Tuesday of each month.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…