Update graphics card

Hazzar 11:31 06 Jun 04

My computer uses an onboard graphics card that shares memory from the RAM chip,I have allocated
32mb.
If I were to install a dedicated graphics card
would programmes open and run faster?
If so can anyone recommend a good but cheap
card.I do not play games but do a lot of photograpy.
Thanks.
Tony.
p.s. I do not want a card that has its own
cooling fan.

smudge101 11:38 06 Jun 04

I had a similar problem, you see graphics cards priced at £100-200 and wonder if you can get a decent one at a reasonable price.
I opted for a winfast A180B card at £40, it has 128Mb DDR and so far I am very happy with it.
But I think you will need more than one opinion befor you make your mind up!
Hope this is of some help
(btw it should help speed up you machine to some degree, depends what you are running?)

Diodorus Siculus 11:40 06 Jun 04

Having a dedicated graphics card will only help your photography work insofar as you will free up system memory for other work. Extra system RAM will make a difference - how much do you have at present?

ste_bla 12:07 06 Jun 04

my orginal motherboard (few years back now) had on board graphics the differecne was amazing, however my motherboard didnt have a agp slot so had less of a choice on cards, so dont think any graphics card will fit!

ste_bla 12:15 06 Jun 04

If you have a AGP card you can get a GeForce MX440 for around 25 notes new @ ebuyer and they dont have fans! It would run some games okay if you wanted to; on mine i ran (on okay settings) GTA3, AgeEmpires2, Half-life 1. click here

If you need a PCI slot then the same sort of card can be found bit little more pricy (5 pound more or so) click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…